THIS WEEKEND IN LAHORE, KARACHI, AND ISLAMABAD
May 11th – May 13th 2018
The weekend is nearly here, and that means it’s time to start planning. As well as live music, there’s comedy shows, new film screenings, photography exhibits, adventure and lots of top artists in town!
Here are 23 things to do in Lahore, Islamabad and Karachi this weekend…
P.S. it’s Mother’s Day this Sunday, so don’t forget to make reservations for lunch, brunch or a special spa day for your one and only your Mama!
Friday – May 11, 2018
1. Drum Circle by the Drum Clinic
If you happen to be in Lahore, start off your weekend with Atif Saeed – the sole initiator of drum circles in Lahore. Did you know that drum circles are a form of therapy that helps reduce stress levels, manage anxiety and depression? So do-you, connect with nature and drum your lil heart out with this awesome crew of lightworkers!
- When: Friday, 11th May (9 pm – 11 pm)
- Where: The Guitar School (27 CCA Sec DD, Street 7, Phase 4, Lahore)
2. Makeup Show (Mother’s Day Special) by Fortress Square
The three-day Makeup Show hosted by Fortress square is an event you won’t want to miss. The Makeup Show brings beauty brands and pros from all over Lahore. Learn the techniques straight off the fashion runways, mingle with talented artists, and shop your favourite pro brands on this mother’s day weekend!
- When: Friday, 11th May – Sunday, 13th May (4 pm – 11 pm)
- Where: Fortress Square (Mian Mir Bridge, Fortress Stadium, Lahore)
3. The Insane Rock Weekend Extravaganza by Sibti
Gear up for a rocking weekend before Ramadan hits and the summer heat kicks in; This musical event will start with a drum circle on Friday, followed by a classic rock night on Saturday and Sunday! The rock band “Echoes” cover all the massive hits from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s by bands such as CCR, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and many more. Shahzad Hameed will be closing the weekend with his live act on Sunday. We are hoping this will be a weekend to remember for hardcore music lovers!
- When: Friday, 11th May – Sunday, 13th May (9 pm – 11 pm)
- Where: The Guitar School (27 CCA, Sec DD, Street 7, Phase 4, Lahore)
4. Mehfil-e-Moseeqi by Koyla Chai
Koyla Chai is putting together a weekend of mehfil-e-moseeqi and hosting Haider Ali to play a Sufi set! So bring your significant others and enjoy a beautiful live performance of Ali’s unique Sufi renditions over food!
- When: Friday, 11th May – Sunday, 13th May (8 pm- 10 pm)
- Where: Koyla Chai (D2, Block 2, Clifton, Next to Shell Pump, Bilawal Chowrangi, Karachi)
5. 60 Second Intl. Film Festival – Karachi Screening by 60 Second Intl. Film Festival
60SIFF encourages anyone with a story to step up and film their worldview in 60 seconds. The event is being held simultaneously in multiple cities. The Karachi edition provides an opportunity to youth to express them. Do check out this year’s dynamic film entries and listen to some interesting discussions. Miss this and miss out!
- When: Friday, 11th May (6 pm- 9 pm)
- Where: Ziauddin University (Clifton, Karachi)
6. Birds of Sindh Photography Exhibition
Discover the natural beauty of Sindh’s expansive bird population in a one of a kind photography exhibition by the ‘Birds of Sindh & Wildlife with Dream Merchants’ initiative. Sindh is home to over 269 avian species, and through this exhibition, the wildlife will be portrayed to create awareness among masses. Don’t miss out on a chance to enjoy some breath-taking images!
- When: Friday, 11th May – Saturday, 12th May (11 am – 8 pm)
- Where: Alliance Francaise De Karachi (Plot ST-1 Block 8, Kehkashan, Karachi)
7. Moonlight over the Spring River
PNCA is organising a concert of Chinese classical music to celebrate the Chinese traditional music. During the event, the artists of China Opera and Dance-Drama Theatre will perform using conventional Chinese Bamboo flutes. Islamabadians will undoubtedly have a quality time attending the concert.
- When: Friday, 11th May (5:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Where: Pakistan National Council of Arts (PNCA), Islamabad.
Shah Allah Ditta Mela has been designed to give you an exclusive experience of Sufism in a traditional environment that will take you to the historical journey of ancient Budha caves. There will be performances by legendary Abida Parveen, Jabar Abbas, Saeen Zahoor, and the famous folk singer Bushra Marvi. Don’t miss!
- When: Friday, 11th May – Sunday, 13th May (4 pm- 10 pm)
- Where: Green Hills –Sadhu ka Bagh (Near D12, Sector, Islamabad)
Saturday – May 12, 2018
9. My Mobility Matters by Design Pakistan
Do you find travelling around Lahore, whether for work or leisure, to be stressful? Do you drive to a nearby store because you do not feel safe walking the distance? Come to ‘My Mobility Matters’ and discuss these questions with other women who face the same problems. Let’s find possible solutions to improve mobility for women in Pakistan.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (4 pm- 7 pm)
- Where: Nairang Galleries (101 Habitat Flats, Jail Road, Lahore)
10. Rang e Kainat – Musical performance by Harsukh, Independent Theatre Pakistan, & rearts
Experience a soulful and mystical performance curated by the Kathak maestro Bina Jawwad & featuring Ismat Jawwad, Zainub Jawwad, and Saleema Jawwad.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (6 pm – 9 pm)
- Where: Beaconhouse Newlands Lahore (632/1, Block J, Phase IV, Street 10, Lahore)
11. Classical Sitar Recital by the Last Word
This Saturday calls for a night of classical music with Jawwad Noor. Noor was initiated into sitar by Ustad Alam Khan of Lahore. Characterized by a style that balances the contemplative and the emotive, Jawwad has been bringing his impassioned performances to audiences around the world for many years.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (6:45 pm – 8:45 pm)
- Where: The Last Word (Defence DHA, Phase 3, Block Z, 30Z Basement, Lahore)
12. Sur Ka Safar: Jugalbandi by the Second Floor (T2F)
T2F and Faraar Gallery will be hosting two generations of musicians in what is known as the jugalbandi style of performance in Sur Ka Safar series. Enjoy some electrifying, classical musical conversations between two solo musicians in two sets of performances.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (7:30 pm- 9:30 pm)
- Where: The Second Floor (10-C, Sunset Lane, Karachi)
This Saturday, enjoy a great movie with your friends at #AFKarachi! Latcho Drom (1993) is a critically acclaimed documentary by Director Tony Gatlif. The film tells the story of the communities through music featuring Romani musicians and dancers in India, Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, France and Spain.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (8:30 pm- 10 pm)
- Where: Alliance Francaise de Karachi (Plot ST-1 Block 8, Kehkashan, Karachi)
14. Music of the Nation by Pakistan Chowk Community Centre
Pakistan Chowk Community Center is providing an open platform for rising stars to showcase their skills. The evening aims to empower Lyari’s youth and community through social engagement. Join them at PCCC to enjoy quality music by some fresh voices!
- When: Saturday, 12th May (3 pm- 7 pm)
- Where: Pakistan Chowk Community Centre
Get ready to experience the “RUNG EDM Festival” between twin cities. The festival will be a fund-raising event for the underprivileged community of Pakistan. The activities include musical performances, food, games and much more!
- When: Saturday, 12th May (4 pm- 11 pm)
- Where: Arts & Craft Village (Lok Virsa, Garden Avenue, Shakarparian, Islamabad)
16. Faraz Ahmed “Banana Hasana” – A standup comedy show in Islamabad by Faraz Ahmed and Theatre Wallay
Are you ready for a night of silly and earnest humour? Faraz has already performed at P.A.C.C, Karachi and Lahore. This weekend, he will be performing in Islamabad to conclude his tour. Get your tickets now to experience a crazy hour of rib-tickling comedy as he unfolds about his stories of going bananas to be officially called the Crazee Gentleman among friends and family.
- When: Saturday, 12th May (7:30 pm – 9:30 pm)
- Where: The Farm- TW Studio (School Road, Off Korang Road, Bani Gala, Islamabad)
PFM presents Islamabad Wedding Expo this weekend at Cafe 1969 Islamabad. The purpose of the expo is to showcase Pakistan’s finest wedding suppliers to thousands of planning couples and some elite lifestyle and vibrant communities across Pakistan. Sit back and enjoy a versatile expo while getting awesome inspiration and handy tips for your wedding.
- When: Saturday, 12th May – Sunday, 13th May (5 pm – 11 pm)
- Where: Café 1969 (Near Lok Virsa, Islamabad)
Sunday – May 13, 2018
18. Welcome Ramadan Camp’18 by Kaho Kahani
Olomopolo Media is organising a one-day Ramadan camp for your kids. The activities will include crafting & arts, a puppet show, and inspirational storytelling by Ammarah Shah and Amber Zafar. See you there!
- When: Sunday, 13th May (1 pm – 6 pm)
- Where: Olomopolo Media (43/A, Block D, New Muslim Town, Lahore)
- For kids aged 3-8
19. Rang De Pakistan by Emco
Celebrate the diversity of Pakistan’s culture with multicultural feasts of art, food and songs from cultures that paint the rich and vibrant culture of Pakistan. This Sunday, experience the colour of Sindhi, Kalaash, Kashmiri, Afghani, Makranis and Multani culture at Marriott!
- When: Sunday, 13th May (12 pm- 10 pm)
- Where: Karachi Marriott Hotel (9, Abdullah Haroon Road, Karachi)
This Mothers day, take your mom to the standup comedy show at the Grid. This time we have decided to do a show for mothers and share their take on the Chittar, Belan, Belts and hanger! Do something different for her this ‘Mothers day’. Spend some laughs with her.
- When: Sunday, 13th May (7:30 pm- 9 pm)
- Where: The Grid (31-C, 7th Lane, Bukhari Commercial Area, Phase 6, DHA, Karachi)
21. An evening of true stories by the Crows
Do you have a story to tell? Join the team Crows for an evening full of warm vibes and true stories hosted by Koel Café.
- When: Sunday, 13th May (7 pm- 9 pm)
- Where: Koel Café (F-42/2, Block 4, Scheme 5, Clifton, Karachi)
For Karachites, the Sunday means a beach day! LolWaalay brings a beach themed improvisational comedy show. They will be sharing their beach stories and #beachvibes! Bring your friends and have a fun night!
- When: Sunday, 13th May (8 pm – 10 pm)
- Where: Pakistan American Cultural Centre (11, Fatima Jinnah Road, Karachi)
23. Play: Yeh Shehar Zair-e-Tameer hai by Theatre Wallay
Team Theatre Wallay conducted a series of intensive workshops introducing the participants to techniques in writing and acting. The students then developed their script exploring their relationship and experiences with their cities and spaces. The script is being staged this Sunday. Support these emerging artists!
- When: Sunday, 13th May (7 pm – 10 pm)
- Where: The Farm- TW Studio (School Road, Off Korang Road, Bani Gala, Islamabad)