The “Citrus Family” Works Miracles
Six Amazing Health Benefits of Citrus Fruits
The juicy citrus family is at its peak this winter. Jam-packed with vitamin C and numerous health benefits, the brightly coloured fruits brimming with antioxidants which is great for your…erm.. almost everything!.
Let’s take a look at some of the nutritional and health benefits of the all mighty fruit citrus.
- The citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C (scientifically known as ascorbic acid). Ascorbic acid helps regenerate the antioxidant “collagen” in your body which cannot be produced otherwise. Collagen helps maintain the elasticity of your skin and keeps it fresh and young. As citrus fruits are the excellent source of vitamin C, you should include them in your diet to fight ageing.
- The orange peels are rich in vitamin C which serves as a cleansing agent. If you are grossed out by the dead skin cells and clogged pores, use the orange peel to exfoliate the skin on your face. The peel will shrink pores and remove dead skin cells giving it a glowing look.
- Interestingly, citrus intake reduces the risk of dementia by 23%. But check this out, Tangerines, for example, are rich in antioxidants, folate, and potassium, which results in increased blood flow to the brain and improves cognitive activity and concentration.
- Citrus fruits are rich in fibre which helps improve the digestive functioning and heart health. Oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines are an amazing source of vitamin C, fibre, potassium, and Vitamin B6; the contents are known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Another amazing health benefit of consuming citrus fruits is that it helps slow down the weight gain process.
- Who doesn’t long hair right? Being rich in vitamin C, citrus fruits strengthen your hair by fighting dandruff and preventing hair loss resulting in smooth, shiny, long hair.