THINGS TO DO IN LAHORE, KARACHI AND ISLAMABAD THIS WEEK
Monday 19th March- Friday 23rd March, 2018
It’s our mission to keep 1947’s readers in-the-know, which is why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating this list for you week in week out. Want to be the most knowledgeable culture savant in your group of friends? From theatre to cultural shows, special events and glorious art exhibitions; find out what to see and do this week in Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad!
Lahore | Monday 19th – 23rd March 2018
The Wizard of Oz / Macbeth – plays by LGS 39-Main Gulberg by Independent Theatre Pakistan
We’ve all seen Judy Garland follow the yellow brick road and the chronicles of Macbeth light up the screen. This week, watch the “Wizard of Oz” and “Macbeth” comes to life on stage by LGS drama club in collaboration with Independent Theatre Pakistan. Rediscover the all-time classics with your family and friends!
- When: Monday, March 19 (4 pm –7 pm)
- Where: Ali Institute of Education (Ferozepur Road, Lahore)
Dastangoi by Faiz Ghar
Relive the tales Tales from Talism Hoshruba and Mushtaq Yousufi’s Hawaili at Dastan Goi-a 13th century Urdu storytelling art form. Let, Fawad Khan, Nazrul Hasan, and Syed Mesum Naqvi transform you into another realm. We are hoping they will leave you mesmerized!
- When: Wednesday, March 21- Thursday, March 22 (6:30 pm – 9:30 pm)
- Where: Alhamra Arts Council (Mall Road, Lahore)
The Future of Food by CHARU and the Last Word
Discover how a passion for eating clean and organic can lead to a better world! The Last Word brings you an enlightening conversation about eating healthy. Find out where our food comes from, what it means to buy local and why it is good for you and the planet?
- When: Wednesday, March 21 (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Where: The Last Word (Phase 3, Block Z, 30, Basement, Defence, DHA, Lahore)
Lighting – A dance performance by Anna Konjetzky & her dancers by Annemarie Schimmel Haus and Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop
A dance piece organised jointly by the Annemarie-Schimmel-Haus Lahore, the Goethe-Institute Pakistan & Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop brings you a dance piece Anna Konjetzky. She has been creating dance-pieces, where the questioning and organization of the space is always very central. She will be performing in Lahore. Don’t miss!
- When: Thursday, March 22 (7 pm – 9 pm)
- Where: Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop (Plot 1, Green Acre Farms Housing Society, 7Km Raiwind Road, Lahore)
OLO People celebrates Norooz by Olomopolo Media
OLO People are back with their third cultural celebration program. This week, they are celebrating NOROOZ- the Persian New Year. Norooz is the traditional Iranian festival of spring. Be part of the celebrations!
- When: Thursday, March 22 (7:15 pm- 9 pm)
- Where: Olomopolo Media (43-A Block D, New Muslim Town, Lahore)
- For Invites, please email at email@example.com with your cell phone number, number of invites and full name.
Karachi | Monday 19th – 23rd March 2018
Resurrection-A Dance Performance by Nora Amin by Goethe-Institute Pakistan
Discover the art of Egyptian dancing at the NAPA music festival 2018. Nora Amin presents ‘Resurrection”- which was developed over the course of ten years. ‘’Resurrection” is a dance ritual dedicated to all those who lost their lives due to oppressive systems. Experience the pain, survival, forgiveness and healing through this captivating dance performance.
- When: Monday, March 19 (8 pm – 10 pm)
- Where: NAPA (National Academy of Performing Arts, Karachi)
Thinking Films: Loving Vincent by the Second Floor (T2F)
If you love art films, join T2F, this Wednesday, for the screening of “Loving Vincent” which explores Vincent’s life and work by bringing to life some of Vincent van Gogh’s most inspirational paintings to tell his story. The film screening will be followed by a group discussion. See you there!
- When: Wednesday, March 21 (7 pm- 8:30 pm)
- Where: T2F (10-C, Sunset Lane, Karachi)
Alishba’s Art Exhibition: Mes Rêves, Mon Monde by Alliance française de Karachi
Did you know that March 21 is World Down Syndrome Day? Celebrate the day with Alliance française de Karachi which is hosting an art exhibition by Syeda Alishba titled “Mes Rêves, Mon Monde: My Dreams, My World”. Syeda Alishba is a 17-year old girl with Down syndrome. She is an artist and a painter. She has been expressing her feelings and observations through the use of acrylics, soft pastel and charcoal. Show your support for this brave girl.
- When: Thursday, March 22 – Saturday, March 24 (5:30 pm – 7 pm)
- Where: Alliance Francaise De Karachi (Plot ST-1 Block 8, Kehkashan, Karachi)
Funny Wednesdays at Wingitt by Comedy Scene
Comedy Scene Karachi is the go-to home for laughs and the best stand-up comedy. The first Wednesday was hosted by Faheem Azam with his amazing hosting skills. The team is back with Usman Mazhar, Ali Abdullah, Sana Khan Niazi, Jaffer Shah, Kashif Shahzad and Natalia Baghdadi in the line-up for the coming Wednesday. Bring your friends!
- When: Wednesday, March 21 (8 pm)
- Where: Wingitt (Khayaban-e-Seher, Karachi)
Charcoal by Art Citi
ArtCiti is hosting an exciting exhibition of Charcoal drawings by renowned and internationally acclaimed artists including names such as Abrar Ahmed, Ali Abbas, Ali Azmat, A. Q. Arif, A. S. Rind, Farrukh Shahab, and M. Rustam Khan. Visit to view their amazing work.
- When: Thursday, March 22 – Sunday, March 25 (6 pm – 8 pm)
- Where: Art Citi (Plot 36-C, 2nd Floor, Bukhari Comm. Lane 13, Phase 6, DHA, Karachi)
Hazara Cultural Show by PNCA
PNCA is honouring the contribution of Hazara’s music and literary arts. The event will be hosting the regional artists of Hazara and KPK. Join them to celebrate the rich culture and the amazing community artists.
- When: Tuesday, March 20 (5 pm – 10 pm)
- Where: Pakistan National Council of Arts (F-5/1, Islamabad )
Safar II – The Journey by Nomad Marketplace and Theatre Wallay
If you still haven’t been to this exhibit, now is the chance. This is the last week of “Safer II” exhibit which opened on March 3rd. The exhibit is celebrating the 34 years of Nomad Gallery and the works of amateur artists. If you have a passion for theatre and literature, check it out!
- When: Monday, March 19 – Thursday, March 22 (5:30 pm- 7 pm)
- Where: The Farm-TW Studio (School Road, Off Korand Road, Bani Gala, Islamabad)
World Press Photo Exhibition 2017 by PNCA and World Press Photo
The World Press Photo Exhibition 2017 is a global exhibition presenting the best visual journalism of the past year. Come and see the most compelling photos in stunning high-quality Canon prints.
- When: Monday, March 19 – Friday, March 23 (9 am – 5 pm)
- Where: Pakistan National Council of Arts (F-5/1, Islamabad )
Shogran and River Rafting
It’s time for a river rafting vacation! Rehman travels have planned the perfect adventure for you! It’s super easy and relaxing. You will also get to enjoy Shogran- a picturesque hill station with surrounding view of Makra Peak and Musa Ka Mussala.
- When: Friday, March 23 – Sunday, March 25
- Where: Rehman Travels (Office 1, Aally Plaza, 44 East Fazal-e-Haq Road, Blue Area, Islamabad)
- For details click here.